November 28, 2010

Saturday afternoon Picnic












Well, I’m typing this up tonight so that tomorrow (Sunday) once I download the photos to blogger, I can just copy and paste …

I have had a wonderfully blessed afternoon/evening with my darling husband and kiddies … just good old fashioned quality time, which despite two pukes by Bryn (hopefully just car sickness) and a good quantity of screaming in the car by Melinda – was just amazing. 

We left for the Matikona beach/river mouth around 3.30 and it takes just over 45 minutes to get there.  The weather was sunny, with a slight breeze.  The trapper here on the farm had told Wouter fishing there was reasonable, and since Gawain has been asking to go fishing all week – we decided to try it, taking along a picnic dinner.  I boiled the potatoes and did the corned silverside earlier in the day, so added some bread and eggs and we were good to go.  Wouter was given a small gas stove for his birthday last year or the year before from Mum and Dad, so we put that to good use.

Once at the beach we realised we’d left the back-pack at home, so we didn’t walk right to the end.  There is a small river mouth on one side and the ocean on the other … so amazing and very safe (with supervision of course) for the kiddies to paddle at low tide.  Gawain made a bee-line for the water – he has no sense of danger at all – which is a bit worrying to me at time.  Once we’d had a wee walk to scout the place out we went back to the car, grabbed the buggy (Bryn wasn’t 100%, so he just wanted to hop in that and sit nice and snug) and set up our picnic spot while Wouter set up his fishing rod with ‘help’ from Gawain. 

Wouter did get some bites, but not any fish hooked this time.  Since Bryn wasn’t 100% we decided we better cut it a bit short and get the kids home and showered and into bed.  Hopefully we have an alright night … but since Sheepie got covered in sick also I’m not going to hold my breath … he doesn’t have any other cuddly but hopefully Sheepie will dry enough before we go to bed to tuck him in beside him. 

Anyway … the afternoon just really made me realise how much I value quality family time with Wouter and the kids … just our wee family doing and making traditions … watching Melinda scoot across the sand and shove handfuls in her mouth, Gawain just standing next to his Papa – enthralled by the fact that he was fishing as well … and even my Brynnie – snuggled next to me in the car on the way home asleep.  We are so amazingly blessed!!

Sunday morning:
Well, I think it wasn’t just car sickness … poor dot had a temp and was up in the wee hours.  He seems ok this morning BUT I think we’ll just take it very quiet today incase any bugs are still lurking.

No comments: