April 2, 2011

In memory of Black







Today I was so proud of my husband.  Not that I'm not usually proud of him, but today I was extra proud.  He had to go through the heart-wrenching tough job of putting down an animal, more than an animal, a working pet.  His first working pup Black - who was bought before we were married, actually before we even started going out - was diagnosed with advanced cancer about 6 weeks ago.  We discussed it and nothing could be done - so Wouter made the decision that when he could see Black was obviously suffering, he would make sure it ended straight away.  He wanted to do it himself and make sure it was done right - and in a way that Black never saw it coming.  He reckoned that was just one of the no-so-nice parts of being a shepherd and I agree BUT I'm super proud of him for caring enough and having the courage to do it himself.

So that was the end of a six year working relationship ... we have yet to find another hunt-away that clicks just like Wouter and Black ... but we are looking forward to a new fluffy heading pup bundle arriving next week ... Gawain got to go to the pet shop while in town and pick out a collar and led for 'his' new puppy ... watch this space for cute pictures.

No comments: